You belong at Royal Roads
We learn, work, and live on the traditional lands of the Xwsepsum (Esquimalt) and Lekwungen (Songhees) ancestors and families.
Your ideas, identities and experiences are welcomed and valued at Royal Roads University.
We work together to design an equitable, diverse and inclusive community. One where people from any community or country can bring all aspects of themselves to their work and studies. To be life-changing — for everyone.
Our diversity statement
Diversity enriches community, expands learning and advances knowledge.
Equity, diversity and inclusion initiatives
Royal Roads is continually working to address equity, diversity and inclusion. Some of our initiatives include the following:
- creating policies and training for students, faculty and staff
- offering support for community members who have barriers to fully participating in community life
- embodying our values — caring for our community members, creatively solving problems and courageously tackling challenging issues
Royal Roads has taken the following actions:
- developed the institutional Equity, Diversity and Inclusion Plan with short- and long-term goals
- implemented a Human Resources campus-wide benchmarking census, “Everyone Counts”
- conducted research into the experiences of our current and past Canada Research Chairs
- created the President’s Steering Committee on Equity, Diversity and Inclusion with executive, faculty, student and staff members
- revised our recruitment processes to emphasize?the importance of diversity and inclusion
- created resources to assist our hiring managers and hiring panel members to ensure equity, diversity and inclusion are considered at every step of the recruitment process
- trained staff and managers on equitable hiring practices
- conducted a policy review to investigate existing policies
- revised and created new policies, procedures and guidelines that support a diverse, inclusive and equitable learning and work environment
- led training on implicit bias, gender diversity and microaggressions
- engaged staff, students, faculty and alumni in the development of an Anti-Racism Action Plan
Governance and support services
Students with temporary or permanent health conditions that affect their access to learning?can get support through accessibility services.?The university offers academic or physical accommodations for students, as well as counselling support.
Indigenous students can get culturally informed support in a safe space. Contact the Indigenous Student Services Coordinator.
Diversity Action Group
Our?Diversity Action Group includes?students, faculty and staff who champion inclusion and full participation of all members of the university community through education and leadership.
President's Steering Committee on Equity, Diversity and Inclusion
The purpose of the President’s Steering Committee is to support the advancement of equity, diversity, and inclusion initiatives at RRU. Advisory to the President, the PSC will involve members of RRU’s faculty, staff, and executive in the accountability structure for supporting the elimination of systemic barriers that impede the career advancement, recruitment, and retention of underrepresented groups at RRU, within and beyond the research enterprise.
Anti-Racism Task Force
The Anti Racism Task Force was a short-term group convened to conduct consultation and research to develop an informed Anti-Racism Action Plan for the university. The task force includes is comprised of 15 students, staff, alumni, faculty and associate faculty.
RRU Proud?is a network of students, faculty and staff who create safety and inclusivity for lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, two-spirit, queer and questioning people in the Royal Roads community. In RRU Proud, LGBTQ2S+ people and allies are invited to connect, get support and share resources with each other.
Equity, diversity, and inclusion, or EDI, initiatives carry great value for individual people, the university and our future. Universities as cultural change institutions are uniquely positioned to affect national and international conversations.
Find?equity, diversity and inclusion resources and updates for staff and faculty.
Equity, Diversity and Inclusion Capacity Building Team
Work of the Equity, Diversity and Inclusion Capacity Team focuses on advancing EDI in employment at Royal Roads University. This team includes members from Human Resources and the Office of Research Services.
Pride at Work
Royal Roads offers a safe and inclusive workplace for LGBTQ2S+ community members. We have partnered with?Pride at Work Canada?to offer training and resources that celebrate all employees regardless of gender expression, gender identity and sexual orientation.