English is the primary language of instruction and communication at Royal Roads University. All students are required to meet our English language requirements.
You need to demonstrate a minimum level of English proficiency in speaking, listening, reading and writing when you apply.
Ways you can demonstrate your English language proficiency
There are three ways to demonstrate your English language proficiency:
- holding a recognized credential from an English speaking country
- submitting an official English language proficiency test score report
- completing one of our Global Learning and Language Centre?programs
Read more about each of these options.
1. Holding a recognized credential from an English speaking country
Demonstrate that you graduated from a recognized diploma or degree program from a recognized college or university where English was the primary language of instruction in an English speaking country.
2. Submit an English language proficiency score report
Demonstrate your English competency by submitting an English language proficiency test score report from the following organizations:
- International English Language Testing System Academic (IELTS-A)
- Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL-iBT)
- Pearson Test of English Academic (PTE-A)
- Duolingo English Test (DET)
Test results are considered valid for two years from the date of your exam. Results are considered official when sent directly from the testing organization.
Other language proficiency test scores may be considered on a case-by-case basis.
Minimum test score requirements
The minimum test score requirements for our undergraduate and graduate programs are listed below:
Undergraduate first-year entry programs
- IELTS-Academic: 6.5 overall with no single band score less than 6.0
- TOEFL-iBT: 88 overall with a minimum 20 reading, writing, listening and speaking
- PTE-A: 60 overall with no section less than 58
Undergraduate first-year entry programs with academic and language support
- IELTS-Academic: 6.0 overall with a minimum 5.5 in listening and reading, and 6.0 in writing and speaking
- TOEFL-iBT: 79 overall with a minimum 18 reading, 23 in writing, and 19 in listening and speaking
- PTE-A: 55 overall with a minimum 55 in writing and speaking, and 51 in listening and reading
- DET: 105 overall with a minimum of 95 in literacy, comprehension, conversation and production
Undergraduate third-year entry and graduate* programs
- IELTS-Academic: 6.5 overall with a minimum 6.5 in writing and speaking, and 6.0 in listening and reading
- TOEFL-iBT: 88 overall with a minimum 24 in writing, and 20 in listening, reading and speaking
- PTE-A: 60 overall with a minimum 60 in writing and speaking, and 58 in listening and reading
- DET: 115 overall with a minimum of 110 for literacy, comprehension and conversation; and 115 for production
*Graduate program exceptions
These programs have higher English language proficiency requirements:
- Master of Arts in Professional Communication
- Doctor of Social Science
- Doctor of Business Administration Programs
- IELTS: Academic 7.0 overall with a minimum 6.5 in writing, speaking, listening and reading
- TOEFL: iBT 100 overall with a minimum 26 in writing, and 23 in listening, reading and speaking
- PTE-A: 68 overall with a minimum 60 in writing, speaking, listening and reading
Some programs may require additional proof of English competence.
Testing updates – April 2020
Royal Roads University will accept the TOEFL iBT Special Home Edition as evidence of English language proficiency, while in-person testing has been suspended at some IELTS and TOEFL centres.
We also accept the IELTS Indicator test to assess your application. This test is?available in most countries until test centres are able to resume in-person testing. If you are conditionally admitted, you will be required to submit an official English language test score (as listed below) before the start of your program.
We will monitor and adjust our requirements as needed. Find updates about our COVID-19 response.
3. Global Learning and Language Centre programs
If you've been conditionally admitted into a degree program at Royal Roads, but don't meet the English language requirements, you can complete an international pathway program to demonstrate proficiency in English.
We offer two programs through our Global Learning and Language Centre:
- English for Academic Purposes
- University Academic Preparation
These programs begin at an IELTS 4.5 level and are designed to improve your English language, academic and critical thinking skills. They'll help you to develop the confidence and skills to succeed in a Canadian undergraduate or graduate degree program.
Other ways of meeting requirements
Under certain circumstances you may submit a waiver?request. Supporting documentation will be required.